Friday, July 13, 2012

Day 7 Snorkeling

Today we went to manatee channel, a shipwreck, and Dekes.  It was a great day! At the manatee channel, we did not see any manatees, but there were fishermen there and I think they ran them off.  Ken's wife, Maureen, was our guide for this snorkel.  We found a seabiscuit that I am going to try and bring back home with me.  I hope it makes the plane ride.  A seabiscuit is the exoskeleton of the sea urchin.  I also saw many different things that I have not seen yet including:
  • pudding wife
  • needle fish
  • hound fish
  • barracuda
  • scrawled file fish
  • cowfish
  • squid
  • 2 sharks
The shipwreck was really cool to snorkel.  It is like its own ecosystem and has tons of fish around and inside it.  We saw lots of grunts and some brown chromis.  At Dekes, we took three fish counts.  I counted bluestripe grunts again.  I counted 132, 437, and 60 grunts.  Dekes was a patch reef system part of coral gardens.  We didn't have much time to explore because we were doing three counts.  Really cool day with our first shark sighting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment